Learn to Sail
Step 1: REGISTER INTEREST
Add your name to our online form and you will be notified when the next Learn to Sail course (for your age group) is open to book - CLICK HERE
Joining Wakatere as a club member is a requirement of the course.
Step 2: BOOKING
- When you have been advised that courses are open to book -
- Become a Wakatere Club Member. See MEMBERSHIP application
- When your membership is processed you will receive a password to login to this website
- Go to Book Online in the main menu
- See Learn to Sail course options & proceed to book
JUNIOR COURSE INFO
Junior LTS courses are run during the school holidays as a 4 day block course. We also run a school Term 1 course (one afternoon a week) which runs over 9 weeks - you must attend all 9 sessions to complete the course. https://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/learn-to-sail/ynz-le...
- - All courses follow the YNZ Learn to Sail guidelines
- - All courses are run by a YNZ qualified instructor
- - Sailors must attend all course dates to gain a YNZ Level 1 certificate
- - All sailors must be at least 8 years of age for the Wakatere course (not almost 8)
- - All sailors must be able to swim 50m unaided wearing a PFD (personal flotation device) & sailing gear
- - Coaches reserve the right to accept a sailor's suitability for the course
- - A club Optimist is provided for the course but you are able to sail your own Opti if you have one
The LTS course bridges the gap between the NZ School Waterwise programme and our club's Sunday programme. All children must complete an accredited LTS Course before joining Wakatere club sailing.
ADULT & YOUTH COURSE INFO
Wakatere runs Learn to Sail courses in a two person dinghy, the RS:Feva. These boats cater for our youth and adult groups and coaches can allocate sailing partners.
The RS Feva is world's leading double handed dinghy for youngsters and parent / child teams. An International Class with events around the globe, the RS Feva is fast-growing in most developed sailing nations and expanding into others every year. Chosen by families, clubs and National Authorities to build the pathway to a lifetime in sailing – the RS Feva offers a double-handed alternative and a stepping stone at the crucial time in sailing lives. Exciting performance is the secret behind the success. Modern styling and practical features make it irresistible. http://www.rssailing.com/project/rs-feva/
- - LTS Level 1: 9am - 12pm Saturday morning
- - LTS Level 2: 1pm - 5pm Saturday afternoon
- - LTS Level 1: 9am - 12pm Thursday/Friday (to be confirmed)
A youth sailor is generally 13yrs - 17yrs and missed out on learning to sail when they were younger or are now too big to fit an Optimist.
Youth courses are run during the school holidays as a 4 day block when there is a demand and coach availability. Register your interest!
JUNIOR & YOUTH: total fee is $415. This includes 2017/18 Junior season membership $165 + Course fee $250.
ADULT: total fee is $510. This includes 2017/18 Senior season membership $260 + Course fee $250
If you have any general questions about the courses, email our LTS Coordinator: Juliette Richards. Add 'LTS' in your subject line.
Last updated 21:38 on 28 February 2018