The Sailors for the Seas Clean Regattas programme is designed to assist events and local communities to adopt standards and practices that will mitigate the effects of unsightly and environmentally unsafe refuse. The programme defines 25 best practices with guidelines on how to run water based events in a sustainable way.
We are pleased to be registered with the Sailors for the Sea Clean Regatta programme.
The Sailors for the Seas Clean Regattas programme is the world's only sustainability certification for water-based events. It's designed to assist clubs and communities adopt standards and practices that will mitigate the effects of environmentally unsafe practices and pollution. The programme defines 25 best practices with guidelines on how to run water based events in a sustainable way.
Wakatere has set our targets at achieving a Silver rating for our regattas. Which means we have achieved at least 13 of the 25 practices
We aim to continue our environmental progress beyond our silver rating.
Our 2018/19 initiatives are:
- Overhaul of club waste and adoption of new programme so that all club members make a conscious choice to dispose of waste using our 3 bin options: compost, recycle or landfill waste
- Improve signage for waste bins to make it clear and easy for members to make the correct choice
- Require all food providers to supply produce without plastic if at all possible
- To provide water refilling stations for large scale events
- To stop selling plastic bottles in our kitchen/bar
- To replace plastic bottles with plant based water bottles #FORTHEBETTERGOOD, that can also be composted rather than entering the recycling system
- All kitchen utensils and serve wear are compostable and all single use plastic ware has been removed
- To include an element of environmental education and awareness in our youth sailing programs
- To involve community environmental groups to be part of our efforts by inviting them to have stands, displays or in some way take part in our events
- To publicize our Clean Regatta's initiative with members and the community
Sailors for the Sea dovetails into our club Strategic Document - to maintain and develop the Club's physical environment and infrastructure and to create a strong sense of club consciousness, diversity, community and fun.
Last updated 03:51 on 12 December 2018